This is because 94% of recruiters uses LinkedIn to fill a job position. Social media has not only changed the way we interact, it has also changed the way we find jobs. In fact, 14.4 million job seekers have used social media to find a job.
And if you are still depending only on job boards to find the latest job opportunities, you may be passing a huge chance to land a job.
Today, we will be looking at how you can use LinkedIn to find the job you want.
But first why LinkedIn?
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a social networking platform that is designed to connect world’s business professional and make them more productive and successful.
As a professional networking site, LinkedIn with it’s over 400 million users seek to provide a platform where professionals can network and enhance their careers.
There are a hundred and one things you can do on the platform but the focus of this article is to help you leverage LinkedIn to start or grow your career.
Why Is LinkedIn Important To Your Career?
If you want to grow your career in 2017, then having a great profile on LinkedIn is crucial. Consider the following statistics
- Site currently have over 467 million users-Source
- 70% of LinkedIn Users live outside the USA-Source
- Top channel people turn to when looking for jobs are online job boards and professional social networking site-Source
- #1 way people got a new job are through referrals-Source
- 94% of recruiters use or plan to use social media for recruiting-Source
So LinkedIn is important to your job growth but how exactly do you use this platform to achieve this.
No matter what you want to achieve with LinkedIn either to get a new job, grow your business or simply to network the most important thing you need to do is to create your profile. So let us examine how you can set up a LinkedIn profile that has the potential to land you a dream job.
Ready? Let go.
Step 1: Visit LinkedIn website to create an account
Step 2: Enter your details as required in the fields. Make sure you pick a strong password but yet simple to remember.
Step 3: Enter your country information.
Step 4: Specify if you are a student or no. If not, enter your current job title and current company name.
Step 5: Specify why you are joining LinededIn. The default option is “Finding a job”
Step 6: LinkedIn will now ask you to verify your email address.
Step 7: This step is optional but LinkedIn is all about networking. So if you allow this step, it allows LinkedIn to find people who may be on your contacts and are already on LinkedIn.
Step 8: Upload a professional looking picture. This is where most people make the first fatal LinkedIn error. LinkedIn is a professional social networking site so make sure you have a professional headshot to use.
Step 9: Want to take LinkedIn with you anywhere. Download the mobile app or setup SMS notification
Once you complete the above step, LinkedIn will take you to your home page- straight to the jobs page where you can see suggest jobs based on your title as shown below.
Congratulations! You have set up a LinkedIn profile that is worth looking at. You are one step closer to your dream job. But that is just one-third of the full strategy to using LinkedIn to get a job. Stay with me as I show you the other two third of the equation.
15 LinkedIn Tips To Help You Get A Job
- Headlines: Headlines is the part of your profile picture that people see at first glance. Make your headline catchy.
- Photo: Visual are an important part of your profile. Make sure you use a professional image as your profile picture.
- Include keywords in your headline: Include your keyword ( job title) in your headline.
- Job summary: Your job summary supposed to help you make a good impression on a recruiter or potential employer.Your job objective should be written in such a way that it positions you as the perfect person for the job role.
- Experience: Have you worked before? Make sure you list your work experience here. If you do not have any previous work experience, one may be the time to volunteer as an intern.
- Follow company you want to work: Do you have a particular company you wish to work for. If they are on LinkedIn and I think every company is, then start following them so you can get updates about them and get to know people who work there. This has it’s own advantages. You might even be surprised to find someone you know there.
- Join group: There is practically every group for every job industry on LinkedIn. Find groups relating to your industry and join. Become a regular contributor to the group. Make sure your contributions are intelligent and stay away from attacking anybody.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to recruiters: LinkedIn is not built for recruiters alone. Don’t be afraid to reach out to recruiters. Recruiters are always on the look-out for talent and you never can tell when they might have a role you can fit in.
- Include skills that are relevant to your industry: Most employers want to hire both for skills and qualification. Start looking at skills that are relevant to your industry. List them if you have it or acquire them.
- Treat it like your CV: Your LinkedIn profile is your CV on online. Treat it like one. Make sure that there is nothing on your profile that you can not explain. Also avoid the use of unprofessional statements, words or pictures on your profile. Use tips from this post to learn how to write a winning cv.
- Contact information: Now recruiters have found you, how do they contact you? While they can do so via LinkedIn messaging center, a lot of them may prefer to give you a call or send you an email to your personal email address. This is why it is important to have your contact details listed correctly and updated regularly.
- Get recommendation and endorsements: Recommendations and endorsements are like certification from peers and people you have worked with. While I am not a big fan of them, been recommend or endorse is not a bad thing so ask for it.
- Have at least 100 connections: If you are really serious about using LinkedIn for professional networking, you may want to have at least 100 engaged connections. Remember it is not about the numbers but the engagement so don’t just connect with everyone for the sake of connecting.
- Publish your thoughts: Today’s landscape is changing. We are in a knowledge-driven world so do not be afraid to put your thoughts to pen. You can be really serious about it and get a blog or simply start with the LinkedIn publishing center.
- Setup alerts: Now you do not want to comb LinkedIn every day looking for jobs. You can make it simple for you. Just set up alerts on the jobs you are interested in and once LinkedIn found a match, you will get the alert in your inbox.
LinkedIn Cheat Sheet
Here is a cheat sheet from LinkedIn on how to setup a perfectly LinkedIn optimized profile.
Over 6.5million jobs are posted on LinkedIn so it is not a platform that you can afford to ignore if you serious about getting a new job in 2017.
Ready to find the latest jobs in Nigeria? Start here