Welcome to our expert interview section where we talk with career experts and HR practitioners. Today, our guest is Anita Bruzzese of 45things.com and author of the book “45 Things You Do That Drives Your Boss Crazy”.
In this interview, Anita shares a little about her book, her morning routine and what employee should do if they find themselves in a job they have no passion for.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself? How and why did you start 45things.com
I have been a journalist for many years, covering business and the workplace. Several years ago I came up with an idea for a book and launched the website at the same time the book came out. I’ve used it as a way to continue to update information on careers.
2. I love your book “45 things you do that drives your boss crazy”. Tell readers what to expect when they read it.
The book is encouraging as I show people they really do have control over their career success. But I also don’t sugarcoat anything – many of the mistakes people make are their own fault. Once they understand this I think they feel more empowered.
3. Successful people have different morning routines. Can you share with us your morning routine.
First thing I do is feed my two yowling cats. Then I read the day’s top news stories. Once I’ve done that, I respond to important emails or tweet out some top headlines. I then usually exercise for at least 30 minutes – it really helps energize me for the day. I then usually interview sources for my stories, or write stories that are on deadline. I try to blog two days a week –
4. Do you think cover letters are overrated?
No. I don’t think cover letters are overrated. I think it’s the time when you can really connect with hiring managers. It’s a chance to differentiate yourself from others and help your personality shine through.
5. What are some great interview tips when one is been interviewed on video.
Prepare! Just as you would for any interview. Try on your clothes beforehand and test them out via video. Does it look professional? Where will you be interviewed? Is it a professional-looking scene or can the interviewer see your dirty underwear on the floor? Practice speaking so you can be heard, and look into the camera – not at yourself on the computer screen. Get a friend or family member to do a mock interview with you.
6. What advice would you give to someone who just got a job but is not in line with his passion?
Look for opportunities to learn or to make new contacts. I’ve had some jobs I didn’t like but I took them to get my foot in the door – or simply to pay the rent. But I can tell you that I learned a lot each time – even if it was learning what I DIDN’T like or want to do! Your career is a journey – you’re not always going to take the easiest or most fun route to reach your goals, but you can certainly ensure that your time is spent learning and growing.
Latest posts by Emmanuel (see all)
- Employability Skill Training – Register Now! - April 3, 2018
- Top Human Resource Companies in Nigeria 2018 - March 27, 2018
- Soft Skills Job Seeker Often Overlook and Why they Are Key in 2018 - March 12, 2018