Stay ahead of the curve, be the first to know of any new job opening
Budget And Programming Officer at Word Food Programme
Job Title: Budget & Planning Officer
WFP is the food aid arm of the United Nations system. Food aid is one of the many instruments that can help to promote food security, which is defined as access of all people at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. ¹ The policies governing the use of World Food Programme food aid must be oriented towards the objective of eradicating hunger and poverty. The ultimate objective of food aid should be the elimination of the need for food aid.
- Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or other related field or a First degree with additional years of related work experience and or training/courses.
- Has contributed to the development of operational or office related budget
- Has contributed to the production of planning/budgetary reports or other analytical reports to support decision making.
- Has demonstrated a broad understanding of organization’s financial architecture and how it supports implementation of operations.
- Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is an added advantage.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
1. Contribute towards the development of plans, processes and procedures ensuring compliance
with wider budget programming policies and WFP standards.
2. Create and review project budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against
budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and
advice to optimise resources.
3. Monitor and provide advice on fund utilisation, and advance financing, loan and
borrowing/repayment and refinancing arrangements; alerting Country Director to approaching
deadlines for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls/surpluses, and proposing
4. Monitor and provide advice on actions related to project closure and resource transfer.
5. Monitor the resource pipeline to maximise operational effectiveness, following standards and
processes, and providing advice on resource allocations based on severity of pipeline shortfalls
using relevant pipeline tools.
6. Support the preparation of food-demand plans to support management and usage of corporate
Global Commodity Financial Facility and provide information to guide RB/HQ decision-making
when multiple projects compete for the same stock.
7. Create and review budget and project documentation, and ensure relevant resource data is
recorded in internal systems for reference, in line with WFP standards and procedures.
8. Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reports, to enable informed
decision-making and consistency of information presented to senior management and external
9. Proactively contribute ideas to senior officers for improvement of systems, techniques, tools,
processes and procedures to better monitor and manage budgets and funds.
10. Support the capacity building of WFP staff in budgeting, fund management and operational
planning through answering queries and updating training materials, manuals and guidelines.
11. Represent the unit at internal meetings/committees/working groups as required, in order to
obtain and provide information from a budget and resource programming perspective.
12. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with
more complex analysis and queries.
13. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices and contribute to technical
recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of financial risks.
14. Other as required.
Other Roles WFP is Recruiting
- Programme Policy Officer NOC based in Abuja
- External Partnership Officer NOB based in Abuja
- Finance & Admin Officer NOB base in Maiduguri
- IT/TC Operations Coordinator (Scop) NOB in Maiduguri
- IT Operations Officer (Scope) NOA based in Maiduguri
- TC Operation Officer (Scope) NOA based in Maiduguri
- Monitorig & Evaluation Officer NOA based in Maiduguri
- Nutritionist NOB based in Maiduguri
- Programme Policy Officer ( focus on Cash-based transfer) NOB based in Maiduguri
- Security Operations Support Officer NOA based in Maiduguri
- Supply Chain Officer NOB based in Maiduguri
- Vulnerability Analysis & Mapping (VAM) Officer NOB based in Maiduguri
- Programme Policy Officer ( Head of Operations) NOB based in Damataru
- Programme Policy Officer ( focus on cash-based transfers) NOB based in Damataru
- Finance & Admin Officer NOA based in Damaturu
- IT/TC Operations Officer ( Scope) NOA based in Damaturu